Saturday, March 23, 2013

Whole Wheat Loaf Bread

If you're ever thinking about reading about the effects of MSG vs eating real food to protect yourself from scary chemicals and unnecessary ingredients in your food - I'd suggest you rethink going down that road unless you'd like to enhance some serious neurosis about food chemicals. Unfortunately, a bout of insomnia brought about an intense google-study of MSG and now I am a woman on a mission. I used to think Skim milk was good for you - boy was I wrong. It's not even really milk. So scary and gross. I've become a whole milk dairy kind of person overnight and I have sworn off of already shredded cheeses and about two dozen other things. It's made me look at food entirely differently. I'm not sure if I'd recommend it though, unless you want to be reconsidering all the foods you buy at the grocery store. So I give you caution. Just buy whole milk and take my word for it. :)

Anyway, another result of me reading up on all this stuff was my new dedication to get all kinds of unnecessary sugar out of our diets. For instance, why is there extra sugar in bread? Doesn't it just turn to sugar via digestion anyway? Why do I need sugar on sugar on processed flour that turns into sugar? I decided I wanted to try my hand at making my own whole wheat bread. There are a ton of recipes out of there and they're all kinds of different. I think the end result must be similar though, right? I picked this one though, for three reasons.

1. There was no call to put processed sugar into the batter (It calls for honey instead).
2. There was a video tutorial.
3. It sounds like Giada de Laurentes narrating (I'm not sure that's so, but hey, it made me feel pretty good at giving it a try).

*Also, it has good reviews. This blog post is another one. :)

So I'm just going to direct you to it here.

I was pretty intimidated by the whole bread making process. Could I do it? What if I made a mess and wasted all these ingredients? I'd never kneaded anything! But I bit the bullet and calmed down, realizing that I was shutting myself down without even trying. I discovered that this is the kind of recipe that it's not a huge deal if you make a mistake and don't do everything just perfect. Everything is going to turn out pretty good as long as you do it as close as you can. I've now made this bread twice and both times it's turned out pretty tasty. I'm still working on the storage execution. For now I'm wrapping it in a clean towel and putting it in a large rubbermaid container. I need to get a bread bag or something. That'll be for the future.

Whole Wheat Bread Recipe link. 




No comments:

Post a Comment