Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Chocolate Chip Mint Cookies

Okay, if you're a fan of Pinterest (like me) I'm sure you've seen recipes for these yummy cookies floating around on the boards. I witnessed these for the first time at a bridal shower I was helping to throw and was hooked. They're delicious, and you can tweak this recipe to your liking or to fit what is available in your kitchen. For my part, I had to do just that. Here is the original recipe. I had everything I needed, minus the creme de menthe baking chips and chocolate chunks. What I did have plenty of was chocolate chips and peppermint extract, so I decided to see what happened if I just upped the chocolate chips and peppermint. I was pretty pleased with my results. Here's what I did:

Chocolate Chip Mint Cookies

Ingredients
1 bag of Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix
1 egg
1 stick of unsalted butter (softened)
1 tsp of peppermint extract
6 drops of green food coloring
1 12oz bag of semisweet chocolate chips

This recipe is so simple, you'll be surprised how quickly you're done. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and combine all of your ingredients minus the chocolate chips. Be careful with the food coloring, a few drops is going to give you a light green, more is going to make these great for St Patrick's Day, if you catch my drift. Now the original recipe says to stir together the ingredients, but you've got a stick of softened butter to mix in a thick batter that has no liquid save for the one egg you've added, so I recommend using a mixer. I did. Make sure all the ingredients are fully incorporated; your batter will be thick and sticky - like cookie dough (obviously). When you're satisfied with the batter, pour in the bag of chocolate chips and gently mix them with the mixer into the cookie dough. Use a tablespoon to transfer them, two inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. I used parchment paper to avoid making extra dishes. This step depends on how thick you want and how many cookies you need. I made mine a little bigger because I'm lazy and didn't feel like making several batches or pans, so I only had twenty cookies, but you can make as many as three dozen with this mix. Bake for 8-11 minutes, allow to cool and set and then transfer to a container, plate, or your mouth. I chose the latter. :)


These came out very moist and soft, which is my favorite kind of cookie. I was really happy with them. The extra peppermint extract smelled strong as I poured it into the batter, but once cooked, it made the perfect mint cookies. This was definitely an effective substitute for mint chips. My girlfriend also used Andes Mint chips in hers and they turned out delicious too. They probably took me a total of 20 minutes to make with minimal clean up or hassle. These will definitely get made again. I think they'll be great for Christmastime and St Patty's Day, too!

Go whip yourself up some right now and thank me later!

Love,
Casey

7 comments:

  1. I haven't seen these yet! They remind me of Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, which I love :)

    Thanks for sharing with my NO RULES Weekend Blog Party!

    Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are seriously addictive. I craaaave these when I make them, so they come highly recommended by my tummy.

      Delete
  2. Chocolate chip mint cookies? Yes please! I'm your latest FB follower, found you on the No Rules hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following and visiting! That's so exciting! I'm warning you about these cookies, though, if you eat one you'll think you need another...and another!

      Delete
  3. That's awesome! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, yum, yum! I never thought to make the cookie dough minty! It sounds a little weird, but why should it? I love the combination of mint and chocolate, s these are a must-try. Thanks for sharing at Sweet Saturday last week, and sorry I took so long to thank you! I had a crazy week! This weekend's Sweet Saturday is now up and running, so I hope to see you there ;) http://jessica-healthymommyhealthybaby.blogspot.com/2012/11/sweet-saturday-28-turkey-loaf.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this recipe!! I love mint flavored cookies and these are on my list of yummy cookies :-)

    ReplyDelete